Special Services at Home, funded by the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services (MCCSS), provides personalized support for children with developmental and/or physical disabilities, 17 years of age and younger. The program is intended to support the growth and development of children and also provides meaningful respite to family caregivers. The program is partially funded by the Ministry of Community and Social Services and is one of the largest Family Supports programs, supporting many children in Ontario communities.
VON will assist your application for the Special Services at Home program and develop a personalized plan to meet your needs. VON will assist with the application process, outlined below, and support and guide you on next steps.
Program Eligibility as per MCCSS:
Families can apply for this support if their children have a developmental and/or physical disability and that child meets the following:
- They live in Ontario
- They need more support than most families can provide
- They are living at home with their family, or
- They are not living at home with their family and are not being helped by other residential services
How to apply:
- Call the VON Family Supports administrative team at 519-657-4570, they will schedule an intake time to complete with you. The administrative team will mail you a package with a form that can be completed by a doctor to confirm diagnosis.
- When intake is completed a coordinator will contact you within 2-4 weeks to complete the application paperwork.
- When the application is completed, and you have signed the paperwork and provided diagnosis information, the coordinator will have the Family Supports Manager submit the application to the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services (MCSS). MCSS will make eligibility decision and notify VON and mail you a letter based on decision.
Once you receive funds:
You will receive a letter if you are eligible for funds. Sometimes you will receive a letter indicating you are eligible, but funds will not be assigned yet. When funds are assigned you will receive a letter from MCCSS and a coordinator from VON will reach out to you to complete a respite plan and discuss how you’d like to use the funds.
Purpose of the program and funding:
The Special Services at Home program helps families who are caring for a child with a developmental and/or physical disability. It is funded and managed by the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services.
The program helps families pay for special services in or outside the family home as long as the child is not receiving support from a residential program. For example, the family can hire someone to:
- Help the child learn new skills and abilities, such as improving their communications skills and becoming more independent
- Provide respite support to the family - families can get money to pay for services that will give them a break, or respite, from the day-to-day care of their child.
The amount of funding a family receives depends on:
- The type and amount of service the child needs
- What other help is available in the community
- What kind of support the family is already receiving.
Disclaimer: SSAH approvable expenses change based on MCCSS guidelines for most up to date information please contact your VON coordinator or the MCCSS website.
For more information, visit The Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services website.