VON Canada Statement of Information Practices
How does VON collect your information?
We collect personal health information about you directly from you or from the person acting on your behalf. The health information that we collect may include, for example, your name, date of birth, address, health history and records of the care and services you receive from us. Occasionally, we collect health information about you from other sources if we have obtained your consent to do so or if the law permits.
How does VON use and share your information?
We use and share your health information to:
- Treat and care for you, including by sharing it with other individuals and organizations involved in your care
- Get payment for your treatment and care (from government payors, workers’ compensation, your private insurer or others)
- Plan, administer and manage our internal operations
- Conduct risk management activities
- Conduct quality improvement activities (such as sending client satisfaction surveys)
- Educate our staff and other agents
- Conduct research
- Compile statistics
- Fundraise to improve our healthcare services and programs
- Comply with legal and regulatory requirements, and
- Fulfill other purposes permitted or required by law
What are your choices?
You may access and correct your health records, or withdraw your consent for some of the above uses and disclosures by contacting us (subject to legal exceptions). Before withdrawing your consent, please discuss the associated risks and benefits with a member of your healthcare team. If you withdraw consent, known as a "consent directive" or "lockbox", your consent directive may be overridden with your express consent or where otherwise permitted by law.
How does VON protect your information?
- We take steps to protect your information from theft, loss and unauthorized access, copying, modification, use, disclosure and disposal
- We conduct audits and complete investigations to monitor and manage our privacy compliance
- We take steps to ensure that everyone who performs services for us protects your privacy and only uses your information for the purposes you have consented to
How to Contact Us?
Our Privacy Officer is Linda Smith. For more information about our privacy protection practices, or to raise a concern you have with our practices, contact her at:
Privacy Officer, VON Canada
2315 St. Laurent Blvd., Suite 100
Ottawa, Ontario K1G 4J8
How can you make a complaint?
We encourage you to contact our Privacy Officer about any complaints you may have, so we may work with you to resolve your concerns. You also have the right to complain to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of your province if you think we have violated your rights. The Commissioners can be reached at:
Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400
Toronto, Ontario M4W 1A8
Tel: (416) 326-3333
Toll Free: 1 (800) 387-0073 (free within Ontario)
TDD-TTY: (416) 325-7539
Web Site: http://www.ipc.on.ca/