The Victorian Order of Nurses (‘VON’) in Nova Scotia is thrilled to receive a donation of $50,000 from Nova Scotia Credit Unions. The gift to VON was organized and led by East Coast Credit Union and made on behalf of 13 credit unions in Nova Scotia, and Atlantic Central, a credit union partner organization, which supported the initiative by matching credit union donations up to $15,000, for a total donation of $50,000 to local VON sites across the province.
This generous gift will support the continued delivery of VON’s meals and transportation programs for residents in Nova Scotia. The support of donors, like the Nova Scotia Credit Unions, enables VON to serve hundreds of Nova Scotians each year through its community support programs, which empower people to live life to the fullest in their community. Portions of the $50,000 donation were gifted to the following VON sites by local Credit Union branches:
- VON Antigonish received a portion of the gift from East Coast Credit Union.
- VON Tri-County received a portion of the gift from East Coast Credit Union, Coastal Credit Union, Caisse Populaire de Clare and Atlantic Central.
- VON Annapolis Valley received a portion of the gift from East Coast Credit Union, Valley Credit Union, New Ross Credit Union and Atlantic Central.
- VON Cape Breton received a portion of the gift from East Coast Credit Union, Sydney Credit Union, Cape Breton Credit Union, Glace Bay Credit Union, North Sydney Credit Union, Princess Credit Union and Atlantic Central.
- VON Greater Halifax received a portion of the gift from East Coast Credit Union, iNova Credit Union, Teachers Plus Credit Union and Atlantic Central.
- VON Colchester East Hants received a portion of the gift from Victory Credit Union in Windsor.
“We are very grateful to the East Coast Credit Union and Atlantic Central for recognizing the importance of VON’s community programs in Nova Scotia. This generous gift will help VON continue to bring care and comfort to clients through our meal and transportation programs, which have provided additional support to our communities as we’ve navigated through these challenging times,” said Derrick Babin, Senior Manager, Community Support Services, VON – Nova Scotia.
Throughout the pandemic, VON has expanded its meal program offerings to all 11 VON sites in Nova Scotia, helping to fill a provincial food-security gap. Through its transportation program, VON has continued to safely transport clients to essential medical appointments, such as dialysis, chemotherapy, and radiation, during the pandemic. The generous support of donors has made it possible for VON to continue offering these important services to our province’s most vulnerable.
“Atlantic Credit Unions know the importance of our region’s communities and when our communities thrive, we all thrive. VON plays a critical role in the health care system in our region. And now, more than ever, Atlantic Credit Unions are proud to support those that are so committed to serving their communities,” said Michael Leonard, President and CEO, Atlantic Central and League Savings and Mortgage.
“East Coast Credit Union, together with several Nova Scotia Credit Unions and Atlantic Central, are pleased to support VON’s amazing and invaluable work across the province. It’s been a pleasure working with the outstanding team at VON in their quest to expand their services to more of our communities. We look forward to hearing great things about VON's continuing efforts in assisting communities in the future,” said Bill Timmons, Chair of East Coast Credit Union Cooperative Social Responsibility Committee.Read More